My lovely blogland friends

Sunday 1 July 2012

Guest Designer at CD Sunday

Hi there, me again :-) I was chuffed to bits to be asked to join CD Sunday as their guest designer for the month of July. They are such a lovely bunch of talented ladies, how could I resist? This weeks theme is 'Seaside Treasures' and I knew straight way which CD to dust off for this one, Joanna Sheen's Cardmakers Year. This was the first craft cd I ever bought and I must admit I still love it. I'd decided to use a gorgeous vintage image of a little cutie on a sunny beach but while I was browsing through the cd I thought this image would be more appropriate for the weather we're having here in the UK lately


The inky background is made with distress stains, distress inks tissue paper and acrylic paint. I added some corrugated card, dress net (coloured with alcohol inks), some string, shells, brads from my stash and a stamped sentiment from Chocolate Baroque. The sentiment says 
" A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner", wise words there :-)
I used kraft card for matting and layering and once I'd got the card assembled I decided to add this inked watch die cut to frame the poor chap battling the elements. You can see him a bit better in this pic:


I'm entering this one in the following challenges:
Drunken Stampers: hit the road
Frilly and Funkie: lets see some texture
Hiding in my craft room: anything goes
Simon Says Stamp and Show: Depth of distress
Simply Create too: the country where you live
Wags'n'Whiskers: Use kraft

We had some really wild weather here yesterday, one minute it was sunny the next minute thick black clouds, heavy rain and high winds. I was a brave soul though and ventured out to do some weeding and had a bit of a scare as the TV aerial blew off the chimney and knocked a brick off. I nearly jumped out of my skin! 

We've had a very sad week this week as my  hubby is in hospital and I had to have our beautiful fur baby girl Mia put to sleep on Friday. She was the most loyal and gentle dog and was my best friend for 12 years. The house is so empty without her and our other dog Benji is such a sad boy so I'm planning lots of walks and treats to try and cheer him up. He's had a special treat this morning, some lovely Lincolnshire sausage for his breakfast and paws crossed a good run in the park will help take his mind off things for a while.
Thanks for stopping by
Claire xx


22 comments:

  1. I love the card and it's good to have you back with us as our guest, hope things start to get better for you soon, you've had a lot to deal with.

    Jenny x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card!
    Thanks for playing along with us at Drunken Stampers this week for the "On the Road Again" challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, First of all, I am so sorry about your husband's being in the hospital and having to put your sweet little Mia to sleep. I had a precious little furry girl named Abby that I had to put down in January and our home still seems so empty without her here. My condolences.
    I love your piece! It's got all of the elements of making a wonderful depths of distress example! Love the corrugated paper behind that beautiful pocket watch with the image of the water soaked captain steering his vessel. Love the sea shells...they add so much dimension! I love the dress net colored with alcohol inks. That looks like a beautiful seaweed to me. Your background texture and color is just amazing! Love it! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, I am so sorry to hear about your hubby being in hospital and also about Mia, you said you were concerned a couple of posts ago. I know people will say it is for the best but it doesn't stop you grieving.

    Your card is fabulous, I love how you used the netting especially, such a great idea. Great image too, I have that CD somewhere, must get it out and have another look at it. Take care, big crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a masterpiece! Love it. Thinking of you with a sick hubby andvthelossof your dear dog. With my own hubby in and out of the hospital and our 12 year old dog having health issues, I can truly empathize. Please take care. Fondly, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Claire this is amazing, what a great creation, Love Hazelxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Claire What a fabulous creation to start your Guest spot with us. An amazing work of art.

    Sorry to hear your sad news - hugs.
    Jocelyn x
    CD Sunday DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. This card really caught my attention! I love how you have played with inks to make the beautiful background paper. Also the design is SO fab, love the shells and the nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, I love your inky background and your use of tissue. Love the pocket watch too. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy z

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card!! I love your shells!
    Thanks for joining us at HIMCR!!
    Angela DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. A gorgeous card Claire and I am so pleased to have you back with us as our GDT this month.
    Your use of inks is superb, you have a way of putting everything together.
    Sorry to hear about Mia and hope Paul is improving.
    Hugs
    Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous project Claire, love the background and all the textures you've inlcuded. So sorry to hear about your dog, it's never easy when you lose a pet.

    Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the textures in this piece ! Trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card Claire - well it's so much more than a card it's a fabulous piece of art. Love all the dimension and the different elements.
    Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Claire,
    Hoping Hubby is ok and doesn't have to stay in hospital very long. I'm so sorry about your precious Mia, hoping you and Benjy have lots of cuddles together.
    On a more positive note what a fantastic card and congratulation on your guest designer spot. Take care. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card, as usual is amazing. I love your style as you know. So pleased to have you as the Guest Designer at CD Sunday. Hoping your OH recovers soon and sorry to read of your poor dog. Troubles never come alone. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Claire: Your patroitic card is so cute! Thanks for joining us for our Challenge #16 - "Country Where YOU Live". PS We're having a DT Call--check us out!

    Diane
    Simply Create Too Design Team Member
    http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card Claire I love that image also the wonderful vintage style, those shells and other embellishments look fantastic.
    hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Claire, love the detail, the design, oh I love it all. Hugs Suzanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow...gorgeous creation!
    Thanks so much for joining us at Wags'nWhiskers for our Kraft challenge. A new challenge will be up later and hope you will join again :)

    *hugs*
    Angélique

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow amazing card! I love the vintage look. Thanks so much for linking up with HIMCR this week. DT AJ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look at my blog, all your comments are really appreciated

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...